On Tuesday, October 1, HWIS NY celebrated its first day in its new home at 525 West 52nd Street in Midtown West.
HudsonWay Immersion School Home
Home Page Main Image Shuffle
This fall 2019 HWIS will be bringing its 10 years of experience in Spanish immersion education to the NY campus at Midtown West. The program will begin with preschool for ages 3-4 this fall, expanding to kindergarten and Grade 1 for the school year 2020-21.
“The Separation Process: How is it done in an immersion environment? A perspective from Patti Summers – HWIS' early childhood director on the NY campus
A primary concern of parents dropping off their toddler, as young as age 2, in an immersion environment is that the child has all the normal separation anxiety being placed in the care of someone who is not their relative, in addition to being with someone speaking a language foreign to him/her. So, what can we expect and how we can make this easier for all involved?
National Hispanic Heritage Month, which runs from September 15th to October 15th, is a time when we recognize as a nation the great contributions of Latinos to American culture as well as honor their long and influential presence in North America.
One topic during our two-weeklong Summer Institute consisting of professional development and training was a session with Dr. Ellen Connors for a workshop called “Advancing Social and Emotional Learning: A New Vision of Success in Schools.”
Our School At A Glance
- 15Years since HWIS opened its doors as NY/NJ’s first Mandarin and Spanish independent immersion school
- 200+Combined number of day school students enrolled in our NYC and Stirling, NJ campuses
- 40+Faculty and staff
- 97Percentage of students enrolled in our program for 4+ years testing as gifted
- 6:1Average student-to-teacher ratio
- 80Percentage of students who do not speak the target language (Mandarin or Spanish) at home