Accelerated Language Track
New Accelerated Language Track - Incoming Middle Schoolers Develop Biliteracy by 8th Grade
Beginning with the 2020-2021 school year, HWIS is launching a new Middle School track, “Accelerated Learning Track”, designed to support incoming 6th grade students with limited prior exposure to Mandarin or Spanish. By the time they graduate from our program in grade 8 these students will have developed advanced bilingual and biliteracy skills.
In this dual language immersion track students will:
- Work towards a Global seal of bi-literacy in either Mandarin or Spanish and English with the support of a dedicated middle school humanities teacher for this track in the target language
- Learn alongside current immersion students for math, science and English language arts taught in English
- Learn in small flexible groups enabling students to progress beyond grade level standards in math and language arts
- Travel internationally on spring break to participate in meaningful service-learning projects during the middle school years
- Have access to a guidance counselor to support 9th grade ex-missions to top -tier independent schools
- Pursue individual interests supported through a choice of electives, Genius Hour, and after school clubs.
Scholarship Offered to Inaugural Accelerated Learning Track Middle School students
HWIS is providing scholarships for the first incoming class of the Accelerated Language Track – an award based on a combination of merit and financial need in the value of up to 80% of the full cost of tuition. The award can be renewed each year until graduation in Grade 8 in 2022.
To be considered for the award, students and their families must:
- Submit the application including a student written essay on “Why I am interested in joining the Accelerated Language Track at HWIS” of no more than 600 words. Once the application is submitted you will receive a checklist for the following items:
- Transcripts from past two years of school
- ISEE scores from recent school year
- Student to meet with teachers and peers
- Parent meeting with admissions
- Financial aid application in SSS.com.